Feb 20, 2011

Getting Started on the Nursery


I trust there is never a good time to take a photo of yourself when you are pregnant. This was the best that I could do. ;) Can you tell how tired I am? LOL.

I am in the middle of week 13 and I have a teeny tiny bump. Not enough that it is super noticeable, but enough that I don't need to wear a belt anymore and my pants are certainly starting to feel tight. So here is my first question: When should I buy maternity pants? They totally already sound more comfortable at this point, but won't I have to buy new ones the bigger I get? Or are there pants that grow with you? Please advise.

Dan took this photo in our nursery, where we have some paint samples up on the wall. Last weekend he fixed our ceiling light/fan and installed a dimmer switch as well as put the crib together and cleared out enough space to get it into the room. This was a busy weekend, too. We cleared out more stuff so that I was able to move the crib around and figure out where I want to put it and a few other furniture pieces. Dan put paint samples on the wall and I started taking out some items from my future-baby boxes. Boy, did the reality really sink in fast! I started crying!! LOL. Poor Dan had no idea what was going on. He thought it was something he said, but it was more the overwhelming realization that our baby was no longer in my imagination. He or she is real, and growing inside me every day. Standing in the room that I always imagined would be a nursery and seeing it start to truly become one was exciting yet scary! I just want Blasty to keep growing and be strong and safely greet us in six months. ;)


Today we found a rocking chair at the thrift store that Dan is going to refinish and I will reupholster. We settled on artwork and bought frames, and picked out fabric for the crib bedding! This is a MAJOR accomplishment because I have searched for crib bedding since the day I found out we were pregnant....We went to every store in Portland and I spent hours online, to no avail. I AM SO PICKY! Of course anything that I DID like was horribly expensive, so after I saw Melissa made her set, I asked her if she would help me. Dan and I went to the coolest fabric store in Portland, Cool Cottons, and I am so happy with what we found:


This will be the bumper fabric and the sheets will be ivory. We have two other fabrics picked out for the skirt, depending on the sex of the baby. As for a blanket, I haven't quite decided yet if I will use the owl fabric again or just do ivory. I like the idea of doing ivory and adding some embroidered text or something. I don't know...We'll see. I'm just so happy to have found a starting point! Thank you to my wonderful, adorable, supportive husband, who is clearly my lucky charm when it comes to finding things!

1 comment:

Mom Herzing said...

Melissa did a great job and Cool Cottons had a large choice of patterns. And yes, you really picked a good one. And better yet, you both like it. The tree of life baby blanket I'm working on should fall in with your theme. And by the way, it's coming along great.
GDBWITU Grandma