Dec 26, 2013

a wish list for washington


On November 17, an EF-4 tornado struck my hometown, Washington, Illinois. It decimated entire neighborhoods and struck portions of others. This included the street I grew up on, Gillman Avenue, where my parents still lived. So many people I know were impacted, not to mention loved ones and family members of the people I know. I have heard stories of former teachers, friends, family members, and neighbors about how they survived. Some of them were at church or out of town and came home to rubble. Some stayed in their basements while their houses were destroyed but they were unharmed. Others were trapped in their basements after their homes collapsed upon them and had to dig their way out of the debris or wait for others to rescue them. It is horrific. And it is horrific to see the photos and videos of my parent's home and the homes and streets of my loved ones now barren. We will not be back to visit for two more weeks and I already know it will be entirely more difficult to see it in reality than it is to look at photos.

Here in Oregon, I felt utterly helpless when I heard the news. What could I possibly do to help? My sister lives in the region and was able to help my parents remove belongings and settle into a temporary home. She helped clean up debris and move everything damaged out of the house to be hauled away. My friend, Megan, took to the streets of her neighborhood with a wagon and hot coffee for her neighbors who were doing the same. I did the only thing I felt capable of doing from 2,000 miles away---fundraising. I set up a web site for my parents to help raise money. In two weeks, I raised over $2,000. By 1 month we surpassed a new goal of $5,000. Next, I designed a poster and mason jar labels and asked local businesses to help. Next thing I knew, some of my best friends living in Colorado and Washington state were asking how to help, so I redesigned the poster for their community and/or businesses and sent it to them. Today I am so excited to say that between me and my friend, Allyson, 'A Wish List for Washington' raised over $500 in cash and gift cards to send to four families directly affected by the tornado. We used current/former employers and businesses to advertise and these donations came from complete strangers in Oregon and Chicago! After the New Year, we will have a second wave of donations to send from communities in the greater Tacoma area of Washington state. HOW AWESOME. Strangers helping strangers. It warms my heart.


Because of the success of my campaign, I created a web site for anyone who also might want to donate.

No comments: