Nov 18, 2012

Pinterest Luv: Thanksgiving Pie Topper


7 months later, I have tackled another Pinterest project. Needless to say, crafts or decorating are not at the top of my priority list the way they used to be! I pinned this cute little pie topper 6 months ago to my Holiday board and was determined to remember it come Thanksgiving. And I did! I was ready to go for Saturday's Friendsgiving 2012 (Lorri and Carmen have been going to Friendsgiving at their friends' home for five years and this was the first year we were invited).

I stopped at Michaels Friday on my lunch break and picked up glue, two sheets of gray paper, and green and brown ribbon. At home we already had wooden skewers, alphabet pasta (I had to order it a few days ahead of time because I didn't see it any of our local grocery stores. I ordered from Soap.com because they ship so fast!) and paper birds that I printed (I literally googled "bird clip art" and browsed Google images for something appropriate.)


I thought it was going to be a quick project. However, gluing teeny tiny pasta pieces is a tedious affair! Especially because I had Dan do a test run to see if the glue dried clear (that's his project above) and as far as I could tell the first ten minutes, it was drying white. So I was sure to wipe and fix every little tiny bit of glue that showed around those letters. It actually DOES dry clear but I didn't know that until long after the painstaking project had ended. :) Another time consuming aspect is finding the right bird illustrations and sizing them to print correctly. But I would definitely say the hardest part was gluing the letters if you are a perfectionist like me. After that was done, I strayed from the instructions and threw out the glue and just started taping everything together. LOL. I was out of patience!


So mine didn't end up as durable as Oh Happy Day's version, but it worked for this event and so far has held up to work again on Thursday. I made it for my own store-bought pecan pies but at Friendsgiving, I took one look at Lorri's gorgeous handmade cherry pie and totally hijacked it with my banner. She was very gracious to let me. LOL!


2 comments:

Laura said...

Yours came out great! I love the idea of the alphabet pasta. I'm gonna have to add that to my craft stock. Super cute and I love the words too. Good job, cutie!

melly said...

Must order alphabet pasta! How fun! And your banner is beautiful!!!!i may steal this idea :-)