Feb 8, 2014

Exciting Times

I have been pretty active on Pinterest, and the funny thing is that I saw a quote on it once and I have been living by it recently. Only, I didn't "pin" or "like" the image, so I can't show it to you now.

But it said something along the lines of "When you find what you are meant to do, you will never run out of energy or imagination to do it."

It spoke to me because I yearned for that sensation in creating my writing business. I don't know why I held onto it for so long, but it wasn't happening. Yes, I have education in training in writing. Yes, I can write. However I have been unable to successfully start a business for myself as a writer. For 10 months I walked around knowing that I had set up my business and I never did anything with it. It never got off the ground floor. Ultimately, something was missing. I didn't feel that extreme excitement that provoked my imagination and energy. I just had a looooooooong list of reasons why I didn't have time to market myself, and therefore, get any work.

And now. Now. An opportunity came across my path and despite my serious reservations about being involved in products sold by direct sales, I have started a new business that has sparked something inside of me that I didn't know was there. Suddenly, I find the energy and I find the imagination to push and build and grow this business. One of my best friends started her own company and she once told me something along the same lines---When you find something you love, watch out! You will be consumed by it.

I found that so hard to believe. And yet, here it is. LuLaRoe by Leah Ruth is my baby and I can not get enough of growing, shaping, exploring, and building our business. I could sit here and analyze it to death, but I won't. It is like I have been called to do it, and I am doing it. Dan is 100% behind me and we are having fun.

Here are some pins that I DID keep over the last year that are so applicable for me now:

Moorea Seal
Do people work really hard and amazing things do NOT happen to them? Sure. But you know what? I also think it is about the energy and intention you put out to the universe. I have had the good fortune of seeing this unfold positively over and over again ever since I left a job that was unhealthy for me and carved out something new. The new job/lifestyle is NOT perfect, but the more I focus on building and working hard at what can be better, I am getting back opportunities and positive interactions. It is tiny and occasional, and I only see it because I am on the look-out for it. (And really, isn't this whole idea all about whether or not we live our lives with the glass half empty/half full? I am living half full as best I can.)


I love this quote that I pinned because it is so against my nature. I do not want to be "vast" ---but I do want to be brilliant. :) I am focusing on this in terms of marketing and sales. I want to reach out to anyone and everyone that I can who would benefit from our products, and that means pushing past my "delicate" persona. I am soft-spoken and shy. This does not work in retail. In fact, I was just telling my boss recently that I have learned to develop an alternate persona when I am at work. I am 100% more talkative. I told her, "I'm like Beyonce," to which she replied "WHAT?" I explained, "Beyonce has a stage persona --Sasha Fierce." My boss laughed and told me she would use my Facebook name at work--Bangs McGee. That would be my persona. Anyway, whether it is me or Bangs McGee, I am being vast and brilliant, outside my comfort zone, and shedding my delicacy. The world of sales has no room for soft-spoken, unsure, delicate people. I try to channel my mother's chatty personality and reserve my father's quiet personality for other occasions. I am really the best blend of both of them. ;)

Design You Trust
In the same breath, let me say that I am not interested in being someone that I am not. I am using the strengths and abilities inside me and bringing certain ones out more than others when appropriate. I really believe that you lose people (friends, clients, customers) the second that you stop being genuine. So I really love this quote because it reminds me that my goal is to be myself---and the best version of myself. And so far, with the support of my husband, that is doing wonders for our business.

I also see these jewels of word wisdom in friends of mine who are exploring their own paths as business owners, whether they are collaborating with companies in direct sales like me or operating their own independent companies.

If you want to learn more about what we are doing, visit our web site LuLaRoe by Leah Ruth. We are also active on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, and Twitter. :)

Cheers to 2014. I am going to be busy.

2 comments:

Laura said...

It's so awesome that you love what you are doing! I aspire to that someday. I don't quite understand the business model, and it's not important but I'm just curious, I guess. You say you are the owner of the LuluRoe Oregon (that's from memory, forgive me if I got the name wrong). Do you still manage the shop you were working in? And you sell the merchandise there? I'm trying to figure out how that all fits together. Anyway, big congrats! I'm really happy for you. Your excitement is contagious. :)

Leah said...

Laura, thanks! I don't know how long this will be pursued, but for right now it is working out well. (Not to say that it isn't incredibly scary and stressful! LOL.)
It is a direct sales model. We buy inventory from LuLaRoe (clothing for now) and then we sell it. We are obligated only to sell it directly and not with an official online web site or brick and mortar location. So other than those 2 things, we are free to improvise and do as we wish. We are focusing on home parties, office/place of business events, and open houses. In addition to letting people order from photos we share. I've shipped two skirts to Illinois to start, so it is doable but a little trickier than just moving inventory on-the-spot quickly at events. I am the first in Oregon so I'm excited because it is a bit of a blank slate. And yes, our business is LuLaRoe Oregon. My best friend, April, is a rep in Washington state and she calls her business LuLaRoe By April. And YES! I am still at the boutique in Mac. I put in about 35+ hours there a week as store manager. And I still really enjoy it. Again, it comes with it's own stresses and factors that aren't perfect (I guess I am trying to say that nothing is perfect, especially professions/jobs) but I am making the most of both of these opportunities and feeling positive about my work while I contribute to our family. I feel like it is all incredible learning and growth experience for me. Oh, and they aren't related. I am not selling LLR Oregon at the store in Mac. Keeping it all separate. :) It fits together in the sense that I am CRAZY and trying to do 2 jobs in addition to the job of MOM. ;) Some days are really long...Work at the store then come home and work until midnight on LLR OR. But other days, I try to take a break for my sanity! LOL. The first year will probably be the toughest!