May 12, 2011

A Birthday Gift for Nexus!

Saturday is a special day because it is the birthday of my dear friend, Tina, and her grand-daughter, Nexus! I can't believe a year has passed since Pax got himself a little sister, but wow... It has! And HOW CUTE IS SHE? Oh my goodness. Here are a few photos I stole from Jess' profile on Facebook. ;-)



I really wish we still lived close together, but I am used to watching my friends' children grow from afar. We were very spoiled to be a part of Pax's first year of life! I wanted to do something special, and because I actually had a little bit of energy and was feeling creative, I made some handmade envelopes for Tina and Nexus' birthday cards and Dan and I put together Nexus' First Year in Music, a music compilation like we did for Pax for his 1st birthday. Obviously it is something a little more sophisticated for her parents to enjoy, but hopefully it can be kept around (if at all, digitally!) and when she is older she can listen to it and appreciate it. It is surprisingly difficult to find albums released for each month of the year! We are lucky that Jess and Josh like the same kind of music that we do, and that in general they love all types of music! Here is what we came up with:

May 2010: "Vanderlyle Crybaby Geeks" from High Violet by The National
June 2010: "Infinity Guitars" from Treats by Sleigh Bells
July 2010: "When I'm With You" from Crazy for You by Best Coast
Aug 2010: "Suburban War" from The Suburbs by Arcade Fire
Sept 2010: "Birds" from Buzzard by Margot and the Nuclear So and So's
Oct 2010: "Constellation" from The Falcon Lake Incident by Jim Bryson featuring The Weakerthans
Nov 2010: "Let It Out" from All Day by Girl Talk
Dec 2010: "Last Night at the Jetty" from Last Night at the Jetty by Panda Bear
Jan 2011: "June Hymn" from The King Is Dead by The Decemberists
Feb 2011: "Undamned" from The Long Surrender by Over the Rhine featuring Lucinda Williams
March 2011: "Under Cover of Darkness" from Angles by The Strokes
April 2011: "Postcard From 1952" from Take Care, Take Care, Take Care by Explosions in the Sky
May 2011: "Helplessness Blues" from Helplessness Blues by Fleet Foxes

And here is my pretty handmade packaging, with a birthday card by our favorite stationer, the very quirky Red Cap Cards:

No comments: