Jul 7, 2011

Bulgy McBulgerson


How Far Along? 32 weeks and 1 day, so I am beginning my 33rd week. I have 5 weeks left before I go on maternity leave and 7 weeks until Blasty's official due date. It is VERY overwhelming to be working with these single digits.

Baby's Size and Development? Blasty is supposed to be measuring it at around 1 foot long and 3-3 3/4 lbs. We will have a more approximate idea of his size and stature when we see him at our next (and hopefully last!) ultrasound on Monday. The doctor forgot to order measurements at our last screening, as a follow up to previous concerns about Blasty's growth because of my low PAPP-A. I have to say, though, he has GOT to be on target or ahead of the game a little because he FEELS huge! I've nicknamed him "Bulgy McBulgerson" for the way his biggest most round parts protrude now on a regular basis. :)

Changes in Me?

Physically...I seem to be in a whole new phase. The belly is bigger than ever and causing major restrictions. I can't really do much of anything anymore without it getting in the way or hurting other parts of my body with its weight and pressure. It is getting very difficult to find any sort of comfortable position to sit or lay in. The only pure relief is when I am in water, where the buoyancy is amazing! Also, my ankles disappeared last weekend, once we experienced the 90 degree weather in California. They haven't quite returned, either.

Emotionally... The eagerness/readiness vs. sheer panic continues as I contemplate becoming a first time parent. :) I also find myself shorter of temper and quick to cry in specific situations. At a recent ballgame, I had to fight tears at the sound of someone singing the "Star Spangled Banner" (that was a first) and again in the 7th inning when someone sang "God Bless America." It wasn't necessarily a rush of patriotism so much as it was the beauty of a singing voice, and a crowd of people joining in.


Maternity Clothes? For public appearances, I am basically living in two pairs of pants at this point: Plain, black cotton capris by Liz Lange for Target and adjustable cargo pants from Megan. My hand-me-down swimsuit worked perfectly while in California, and I was happy to still fit in the dress I bought for Kevin & Katie's wedding (another Liz Lange for Target purchase, in photo at the top). I'm definitely feeling more like a giant whale in everything that I wear, and it would be nice if perfect strangers would stop telling me I'm so big, asking me when I am due, and then acting like they feel sorry for me because I still have two months. One lady even told me, "Oh my God, you're going to have a big baby!" Geeez! Thankfully, my faithfully sweet husband and Starbucks baristas still tell me daily that I look super cute. So I'm sticking with them. LOL. :)

Sleep? Well, my restful nights have ended. I now wake every 1-2 hours to either switch sides or go to the bathroom. When my bladder is full, the pressure of it combined with my uterus and Bulgy McBulgerson make it almost impossible to walk, so those late night trips to the toilet are getting really frustrating. Almost every morning I now wake with cramps in my hips, so I am really looking forward to post-pregnancy when I can go back to sleeping comfortably on my back or stomach. Without consistent sleep, my Fibromyalgia is rearing its ugly little head and my legs have been very painful the past few days. The only relief seems to be sitting in a tub of warm water, but that isn't really much of an option when I have to rush off to work in the morning. Heat packs seem to be the way to go, so I am lucky that our office is air conditioned.

Best Moment This Past Week? We had a lot of time with Dan's family this past weekend while we were in California, and Grandpa Jim got to feel Blasty moving around. Dan and I enjoyed our time away together and I loved relaxing in the pool and hot tub with him.

Movement? He's a mover and a shaker. All times of the day and especially when I am eating, which is kind of nauseating. I keep thinking he's going to run out of room, but apparently he hasn't!

Symptoms? Same as before: Pain and discomfort in my lower back and hips, occasional shortness of breath, congestion, trouble concentrating, anxiety, acne, and now swollen ankles.

What I Miss? Same as before: Freedom of movement.

What Am I Looking Forward To? Our baby shower next weekend with our Oregon family of friends. :)

Emotions? Joy, anxiety, pride, LUV for hubby & Blasty. :)

1 comment:

melly said...

Speaking of making people cry, I just got totally choked up over that photo of the three of you! The LOVE just pours out of it, I'm so excited for you guys! He's almost here for you to hold in your arms, the most joyous occasion ever! xoxoxoxo